miércoles, 16 de marzo de 2016

Changing Direction

Changing Direction For some years, The Food Blog has been neglected. My own life has, during this time, had many twists and turns, and numerous highs and lows. I am now a father of two little girls, and this experience has changed me profoundly and continues to do so.
One of my major goals now is to try to be a better person every day, and to figure out how I can foster goodness in my daughters. My hope for them is to be self-empowered, intelligent, empathetic, strong, healthy, loving, kind, inquisitive, self-examining, open-minded, rich with friends, driven by accomplishment rather than money and, of course, happy.
There’s a concern in the back of my mind, which every parent has. What will happen to my children if I were to die? Who will take care of them? Who will support them? And who will mentor them on this journey?
Having left my country of birth at the age of 20, I have personally experienced a gap that otherwise would have been filled by my mother and father’s presence. I have throughout these 14 years in Australia found one friend who I can think of as having played the role of a mentor (edit: two friends, Matt being the most important of the two). Yet I have often had to rely on myself for guidance in most things, and have many times wished for there to be someone whose life experiences could enlighten me to make better decisions. I have had to find my own group of mentors in the form of books and self-inquisitiveness. Self-taught lessons have been pivotal in dictating my life’s direction, but having a mentor giving you the right advice expedites the learning experience.
This is why I am changing The Food Blog’s direction. I want my blog to be a space where I can document my entire spectrum of thought, not just the food, and also have the blog become a repository of advice for my daughters. It is my hope that through this blog, they will get to know me better; that they understand that life is a journey of constant change; and that they have a place of guidance to go back to when I’m gone.
For my readers who are food-focused, I hope you decide to come along on this journey as well. I do understand, however, that you might prefer a piece of cake over peace of mind. In that case, I bid you goodbye and wish you a good life. If you’re reading on, I thank you and will appreciate your comments as they will enrich the content of my blog and provide more human insight to those who need it. If we are to immunise our children against the empty culture they are born into, we need to start by telling the stories of everyday people like them.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario